Thursday, May 22, 2014

Oh, EO. Essential Oils - Part One!

I fell into essential oils about 6 months ago or so. I had heard and seen the term “EO” all around my crunchy groups but was never really interested, as it seemed just a little too crunchy for me. However, Hank went through a really rough period with sleep a while back. It was really bad, as in waking up for hours on end and completing ritualistic patterns endlessly. He was exhausted (as were we) and it was painful to see him like this. We tried everything, and even had an appointment to shell out $1,700 for a sleep study at an autism study center. When I heard a few things about these oils and their ability to assist with sleep, I was more than willing to give it a shot.
     Okay, for the record I am obviously not claiming that Essential Oils will cure autism or even make a drastic difference for anyone. I definitely know people who have tried EO with no real luck. For us however, they have been a golden supplement. I purchased some and when they arrived I made a “sleep potion.” The first night was a little better, with the second and third nights increasing his amounts of sleep. Within a week Hank was sleeping like a typical 2 year old, and I was forever an advocate for the use of essential oils. It wasn’t that it put him to sleep, as much as they allowed him to be more calm and accepting for sleep to come, if that makes sense. Hank loves “yummy feet” and requests it every night before bedtime. We simply rub the rollerball mixture on their feet and rub their feet together. Easy. Effective.

 
 The Sleep Potion:
  • 1/2 parts "Calming"
  • 1/2 parts "Tranquility"
  • A few extra drops of lavender
Both calming and tranquility are blends made by Native American Nutritionals*. Calming is a blend made with Tangerine, Ylang Ylang Complete, Orange, Blue Tansy, and Patchouli. Tranquility is a blend comprised of Orange, Tangerine, Patchouli, Lime, Ylang Ylang Extra, Lavender, Blue Tansy, German Chamomile, and Citronella. I mix it into a roller ball that we rub on the boy’s feet before bed. There is nothing too strong in these blends that makes me feel the need to dilute, however adding some fractionated coconut oil could easily be done

We use a variety of EO in our house, on a daily basis. From sleep potions to cleaning, there are an endless amount of uses! Stay tuned to learn more, as I will be doing plenty of additional entries about all our uses!
 
Safe Travels,
Amanda
 

 *I exclusively use Native American Nutritionals for my EO. I could go into a bunch of reasoning, but just imagine me scouring the internet for a few too many hours of research, reading reviews, and talking to some EO experienced friends. Basically I like them best because they have amazing quality therapeutic grade oils, great costumer service, and no middle man pyramid sales.  They are pure and organic oils with a great sourcing philosophy backing the company.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment