Wednesday, June 4, 2014

 


"Somebody told me this is the place
Where everything's better and everything's safe."
 
 
People always seem surprised when I am asked about my favorite  place in Europe and I reply "Amsterdam." While they may immediately assume I am a pot-head, the truth is I adore that city in particular because it simply connects with me. I love everything about it but most importantly the way it makes me feel. (no, not a contact high. ;))
 
This post isn't about Amsterdam though, but rather the places that give that "Amanda in Amsterdam" kind of feeling.  The kind of place that brings happiness without effort. There is a tiny place about 20 minutes from my house that does that, and despite all the ways it could be discredited as small or just a pond, the fact is it makes me happy. It makes my family happy.
 
You know that stressful feeling towards the end of the day where it is early enough you know you should get stuff done, but feels late enough where you are just over it all? That was my Tuesday at 5:45. I didn't have a dinner plan, my kids were cranky, and I was ready for us all to be in bed. Brandon suggested we go to Stratton Brook State Park, and finally my night was looking promising. We picked up a white pizza (bacon + spinach) from the best pizza place in my town and headed to the "beach."
 
This is exactly what we needed. This little pond has lots of sand, endless trails, picnic tables, cleanliness, and the perfect toddler water (it is so shallow with no drop offs!) Hank loves the independence of running into the water, and I love sitting and watching him. No, but really sitting down is a rare and wonderful thing. This makes for my favorite place for play-dates during the summer and also for random family pizza nights.


I couldn't love this photo any more.


toddler feet. squeeee.

Theo is getting curls! (also, that is him fisting pizza he stole right from the box!)


Brave and happy ,Hank!
 
A rare occurrence of myself actually in a photo.
 
 
What is your favorite local happy place? Comment and let me know :)
 
Safe Travels,
Amanda

 

No comments:

Post a Comment